Lemon Roasted Chicken with Rosemary & Thyme Carrots with a Fennel Jus
Healthy Winter Comfort Food!
- Organic chicken thighs or breast
- Fresh Lemon
- Fresh Rosemary
- Fresh or Dried Thyme
- Seasonal Greens
- Flour (any)
- Olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Chicken Stock
- Marinade the chicken with olive oil, salt & pepper, rosemary, thyme and add a slice of lemon on top of each piece.
- Diagonally slice some carrots and throw them in to the dish.
- Cook the chicken at 180 degrees for 15 minutes and then a further 10 minutes with a lid or aluminium foil on top.
- Put the seasonal greens on to steam for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and carrots and keep the dish and cooking juices.
- Add a teaspoon of flour, half a teaspoon of fennel seeds, half a teaspoon of marmite and a splash of chicken stock (half a cube will suffice) to the original chicken dish. The flour should soak up the cooking fats.
- Add the vegetable water from the steamer to the gravy base.
- Mix together and simmer until the gravy thickens.
Serve with seasonal greens such as brussel sprouts, green beans, broad beans, kale, cabbage, peas etc.
Serve with salad or brown rice as a healthy lunch or dinner. Add chopped peppers, avocado, tomatoes and chilli's to the salad/rice.
Roast butternut squash or sweet potato in coconut oil and add a sprinkle of salt and pepper for flavour.
Or for a hearty winter warmer add roasted potatoes.
Chicken contains protein, which is important for growth and repair of all of the cells in the body. Protein is particularly important for the health of muscle tissue, and it is important before and after training
Chicken is a good meat option if you are trying to burn fat as it is particularly low in saturated fats, and high in protein.
Chicken also contains selenium, vitamin B6 and vitamin B3.